Glen McCloskey

UVic computer science
pan

Glen McCloskey

Post by pan »

moved by this https://dspace.library.uvic.ca/bitstrea ... D_2022.pdf

A special thanks to Glen McCloskey for fixing my computer several times and lending chargers and other stuff to me.

as the department electronics technician, i do not know whether it is in glen's job description to fix computers for students, but from what he did help us for classroom (extra hdmi cable to use the two data projectors separately for slides and ping/traceroute/tcpdump), teaching (re-flash the ecs360 network teaching lab as we evolved from the linksys router-based lab platform to piconet, picolab and picohub) and even research labs (yes, those computers and printers), i am not surprised. he's very warm-hearted and has gone extra miles helping almost everyone in the department. with aging eyes (and a vitreous detachment several years ago), i had trouble reading things on computer screens, let alone students laptop or tablet. some colleagues joked that i shall get a big screen. i found one left by students in lab but a bit broken, so i asked glen whether he can take a look and fix it by swapping some components with another broken monitor. he just lent me two, one (g-2) with an even larger screen but only dvi input, and asked me to put it in good use. finally i figured out how to cascade a usb-c to mini-displayport adapter and a powered mini-displayport to dual-link dvi adapter to reach the full capacity of the monitor, as well as a lightning to hdmi adapter and an hdmi to dvi adapter to accommodate old devices using lightning and hdmi---it can be yet another example next time teaching multimedia systems, the evolution of the display interfaces and the importance of standardization toward usb-c. i told glen the result and he's interested in taking a look, but unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly. however, whenever my students and i discuss their work in front of this monitor, with various cascaded adapters, we will remember him, his kindness, and his empowering of others. just as another colleague said

I think his legacy is all of the computers, labs, printers and people he has fixed or helped over the years.

hope this thread can serve its purpose. glen, rest in peace!

g-2.jpg
g-2.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
pan

Re: Glen McCloskey

Post by pan »

thanks to jingrong, kaiyang and zhiming, our lab alumni, admin and members, in their loving memory of glen fixing printer

glen.jpeg
glen.jpeg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
pan

Re: Glen McCloskey

Post by pan »

pan wrote:

thanks to jingrong, kaiyang and zhiming, our lab alumni, admin and members, in their loving memory of glen fixing printer

condolences card

Attachments
glen.jpg
glen.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 2566 times

Return to “UVic CS”