windows remote desktop

UVic computer science
pouriatolouei

Re: windows remote desktop

Post by pouriatolouei »

pan wrote:if this mini pc works well for you, you can ask jinwei to bring to vancouver next week to swap with the one at haoyuan

another brand new mini pc will be delivered to minming in ottawa next tuesday and you and jinwei can help him enable remote desktop for you to access remotely

a checklist: hit del to get into bios and enable all thermal functions to cool better and automatically power on after power is plugged or one minute after shutdown

finish installing the pre-installed windows 11 pro. use our test username and password. install tailscale and give you the login link, so it will be in your tail network

enable remote desktop access and you can take over from there with tailscale. install whatever you need for gfn over starlink experiments and run wsl2 at startup
Ok, I will set up the new mini pc and hand it to Jinwei by the end of today.
pan

Post by pan »

pouriatolouei wrote:
pan wrote:if this mini pc works well for you, you can ask jinwei to bring to vancouver next week to swap with the one at haoyuan

another brand new mini pc will be delivered to minming in ottawa next tuesday and you and jinwei can help him enable remote desktop for you to access remotely

a checklist: hit del to get into bios and enable all thermal functions to cool better and automatically power on after power is plugged or one minute after shutdown

finish installing the pre-installed windows 11 pro. use our test username and password. install tailscale and give you the login link, so it will be in your tail network

enable remote desktop access and you can take over from there with tailscale. install whatever you need for gfn over starlink experiments and run wsl2 at startup
Ok, I will set up the new mini pc and hand it to Jinwei by the end of today.
thanks. jinwei can also do a bit diagnosis while he's there. wangfeng may come to mmsys too viewtopic.php?t=9161&p=119799#p119799 so if i can convince him to host a mini, you have access to dallas
clarkzjw

Post by clarkzjw »

pan wrote:
pouriatolouei wrote:Ok, I will set up the new mini pc and hand it to Jinwei by the end of today.
thanks. jinwei can also do a bit diagnosis while he's there. wangfeng may come to mmsys too viewtopic.php?t=9161&p=119799#p119799 so if i can convince him to host a mini, you have access to dallas
Pouria set up the new mini pc today and I'll bring it to SFU and swap it with the existing one with haoyuan
Email: clarkzjw@uvic.ca
Telegram: @clarkzjw
pan

Post by pan »

clarkzjw wrote:
pan wrote:
pouriatolouei wrote:Ok, I will set up the new mini pc and hand it to Jinwei by the end of today.
Pouria set up the new mini pc today and I'll bring it to SFU and swap it with the existing one with haoyuan
ok. so it indeed launches wsl2 reliably at startup through terminal? if you can figure out why, we can apply to others too
clarkzjw

Post by clarkzjw »

pan wrote:ok. so it indeed launches wsl2 reliably at startup through terminal? if you can figure out why, we can apply to others too
almost reliable, I tested the following scenarios and they work, and it takes about 30-40 seconds from boot up to wsl2 launches and becomes accessible via tailscale.
from ubuntu: grub-reboot 2 -> windows
from ubuntu: shutdown -> auto boot -> ubuntu -> grub-reboot 2 -> windows
from windows: shutdown -> unplug & replug-> manual select windows in bios
from windows: shutdown -> unplug & replug-> auto boot to ubuntu -> grub-reboot 2 -> windows
from windows: reboot -> auto boot -> ubuntu -> grub-reboot 2 -> windows
The only scenario it doesn't work is shutting down windows by `shutdown /s /f /t 0`, this causes a cold reboot and requires users login to windows desktop and only then the terminal app would launch.
Email: clarkzjw@uvic.ca
Telegram: @clarkzjw
pouriatolouei

Post by pouriatolouei »

Jinwei brought back the previous miniPC that was in SFU and he changed the following bios settings:
MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg (6.49 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg (6.75 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
I just tested it and wsl2 now boots automatically before logging in.
pan

Post by pan »

auto power on after power outage
Attachments
trigkey-g3-bios-auto-power-on.jpeg
trigkey-g3-bios-auto-power-on.jpeg (168.09 KiB) Viewed 1632 times

Return to “UVic CS”